Pages

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

First Karate Class

Ok, well I've found a new favorite sport (I think it's considered a sport). I went to my first Karate lesson last night and I really really liked it! I had so much fun!

I got my new Karate kimono and it is huge! I had to roll up the waist, sleeves, and legs but I was told it's supposed to be big and it'll shrink in the wash. And I got my white belt. There were about 20ish people in the class (white belts up to black belts) and 5 of us were white belts (3 girls and 2 boys). Everyone looked like they were in their 20's - 30's; there are only about 5 girls altogether. We did a bunch of stretching, running, exercises, and we learned basic positions and a basic punch (our beginner group broke off from the rest to learn the positions). We also learned the etiquette; like when you enter you have to bow and if you're late, you have to kneel at the side and wait to be called into the group. I had to have some of the instructions translated to me since I'm the only one who doesn't have Greek as a first language. I'm getting a little better though but still have a loooooooong way to go!

So I'm happy! I think this'll be really fun and I'm very interested in building up skill to defend myself and get toned and fit at the same time. I have also talked to a few people in my class and some speak pretty good English so I think I may make some friends there too which will be nice!

M

No comments: