Pages

Monday, January 15, 2007

Coffee at Hotel Nikolas

On Saturday the weather was windy and grey. I didn't want to get on my bike at all because it looked like it could rain at anytime. Sunday was a different story. There wasn't a cloud in the sky! It's funny, I'm getting really spoilt with all the sun. When there is a day that is cloudy, it's kinda shocking and I think "oh what a crap day" when really, one day of cloudiness or a bit of rain is NOT that bad! I can't imagine what it'll be like next winter when I'm back in the UK or Canada. Yikes...

I went to a cafe in Hotel Nikolas on Sunday because I felt like going somewhere social. It is a very popular hangout and it's situated on the edge of a cliff over looking the water and has a big patio with a great view. I brought my laptop because there is free wireless internet. I had a frappe, surfed the net, and talked to Tones on the phone, it was so relaxing. Once my laptop battery died and Tones had to go, my bosses and a few other people I know came in. So I ended up sitting with them on the patio in the sun. It was so nice to just close my eyes and feel the sun on my face.

I also practiced my Greek a little with Mikhalis' daughter. She is about 13 years old and very sweet. We tried to make a bit of conversation. I feel very "slow" when I try to speak Greek because I really have to think about what I'm going to say, first in English, then translate it to Greek (if I can), then say it properly with the right word endings and emphasis on the right syllable. Tricky. And tyring to understand it when being spoken to is another story because I'm a visual learner, not auditory. Oh well, I'll just have to practice, practice, practice.

I get along with my bosses very well (I have 2, Mikhalis and Yiannis) They are in my karate class also (at a higher level) and so are their wives whom I also get along with. They are also good friends with our sensei Manolis who comes in our work place all the time to chat. Manolis is fun and has the craziest, loudest laugh! I laugh when he does eventhough I don't know exactly what they are saying because it's contagious. They also have other friends that pop by who I know now, because I see them all the time at work. Another friend, Yiorgios, gives kiteboarding and diving lessons, so I might look into that when the water warms up.

I guess that's it for now. Tony left on a boat this morning, so I'll find out soon how he's doing and where they are off to. Update: I just talked to him and they are at the island of Leros right now. He is on gaurd for 3 hours then he has some free time to check out the island.

M

No comments: